Gen X Dragon Karaoke
I've written before on the power of music to shift mood, to act as a talisman to bring me somewhere else. When I find something that works, I'll carry it with me everywhere until its value expires. Then I need to go hunting again. I've occasionally had lovers who were music savvy and were constantly introducing me to new sounds. However, since this quality is negotiable in a relationship, I don't always have it. Then I'm forced to go hunting on my own.
I've been tagged now, by both the Reverse Cowgirl and debauchette with the task of revealing my personal music mantras of the moment, so here we go. In the process of tagging and being tagged by some kindred spirits, maybe I'll find more music to love.
"List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your spring summer. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 7 other people to see what they’re listening to."
1) A Letter From Home - Ulrich Schnauss. German instrumental composer. Beautiful, lyrical.
2) Paper Planes - MIA. Playful and fun. She really is the cutest little rapstress.
3) Failsafe - The New Pornographers
4) There Goes the Fear - The Doves. A lovely refrain. And I have brown eyes.
5) Surround Me with Your Love - 3-11 Porter. This song was playing while I was wandering in the London Coco de Mer. The "Mental overdrive remix" is the funked up version and it's on the Best of Hotel Costes disc. Achingly beautiful.
6) Dayvan Cowboy - Boards of Canada. I first saw this in a skate video (Eric Koston and Mike Carroll). Skate videos have the best music. Seriously. I'm always amazed to see how they time their tricks to the music in the editing process. Langorously epic.
7) Mexican Radio - Kinky I've linked to the original Wall of Voodoo version as well. Both are crazy and chaotic. Love them.
Now I'm meant to tag seven other people. Who to tag? I'll add more names as I think of them or else I'll feel like the last link in a sonic chain letter. For now though, I invite Noah Kalina and the Mofo to share their current loves.